Sunday 9 September 2007

I'm Not Proud Of It. Well, Maybe Just A Little

After a couple of weeks away from my blog, I lazily checked for comments. There was one from Y, telling me that I am it. It? As in the terrifying clown from the Stephen King novel? A little investigation revealed the even more sinister truth - I had been tagged to spill the beans on my compulsive behaviors.

So I started making a mental list. But I quickly realized that although I am as kooky as the next person (unless the next person happens to be sane), the one bit of kookiness that knocks the kook out everything else is my technique for eating Ferrero Rocher.

I am convinced that there is only one acceptable way to eat Ferreros. You have to pop the whole thing in your mouth. And then wait. For the first few seconds nothing happens. Or rather, the only thing that happens is that you feel rather silly about having an oversized object stuffed into your gob. That is why I prefer to eat Ferreros in private.

Just as you are beginning to think that you should probably bite down, you realize that the outermost layer has started to melt. As it does so, the bits of nuts that are impregnated into that outer layer start coming loose. By this time your mouth is watering thanks to the intense stimulation created by taste and texture. You have an incredible urge to crunch the nuts. Desist. In just a little while the entire outer layer will have melted. As a result the chocolate will have shrunk to the point where you can in fact chew the nutty bits while leaving the chocolate ball intact.

No we get to the really fun part. We have now reached the biscuity layer. Time to bite in, you think, but no. Be patient and ye shall reap even more rich rewards. Because eventually the biscuit will simply dissolve with shocking suddenness, releasing the inner chocolate core. By this time you have probably closed your eyes so that your surroundings do not distract you while you let your tongue drift through a little sea of chocolate.

And then, as the chocolate dissipates, you reach the final prize, the innermost central nut. The treasure inside the sanctum sanctorum. The heart of the Ferrero Rocher.


NOW! Bite down without mercy! Crush that nut!

And finally, lean back, open your eyes, and let out a little sigh.

6 comments:

Yashodhara said...

Hey...there were supposed to be FIVE!

But then, I think you made up for it with this single masterpiece - so you are forgiven !

:-)

unpredictable said...

That is ONE PASSIONATE Rocher eating experience!!! The only things i eat like that (eyes closed, dreamy expression on face) are Cheese Fondue (Indijoe, Airport Road, Blore) and eating Chocolate covered Marshmallows (United Square OR the choc shop at Esplanade mall right below the library) ... sigh .. i need to runn to burn off all those imaginary calories now!

unpredictable said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Still Searching said...

DAMN!!!! I got to get me a Ferro Rocher right now!!!! I always bite it after a cpl of moments.. cant wait! This seems like its worth desisting! Hehehe.... I once did this whole savouring the favour exercise in a particular course I did, and enjoyed it thoroughly, though it was with a grape... would've been better with chocolate for sure! :)

Mahogany said...

Grapes are good too. I would have written about them earlier but I got a little carried away with the whole chocolate story :-)
But next time you're eating grapes (and have time on your hands) try peeling one (yes, peeling them) with your teeth and then sort of crush it between your tongue and the roof of your mouth.
Yes, I have problems. And no, they are not dental problems.

lucky said...

hayeee yeaaaaa.. i need to my chocolate dosage NOW!