Thursday 6 December 2007

Where's Your Half of the $100 Bill?

Sometimes you just have to wonder about consultants. Over the past few months I've worked on two projects with consultants that were hired by the company I work for. During that time it became pretty clear that consulting is mostly about having a client ask you a question, asking the client what they think is the answer to their own question, and then playing that answer right back. While distorting it just enough to turn a right answer into a wrong one.

Yes, it's been frustrating. And like all frustrating experiences it's also been hilarious. Earlier this week, for instance, I was informed that I am now a Change Agent. This was revealed to me during the course of a POW! workshop. Don't ask me what POW! means. If I tell you I will have to shoot you.

What I can tell you is what it means to be a change agent. Mostly it means that you sit in an uncomfortable chair in a freezing room for two days, while surfing the net on your cellphone under a desk. And it means gnashing your teeth when you run out of Oreos before lunchtime. And it means suppressing giggles when people around you argue passionately about whether or not to start calling a marketing plan "building blocks". It's like being back in kindergarten. You spend all day shut up in a room and contemplating cookies and building blocks when you'd really rather be outside twiddling your toes in the grass.

Of course there is a bright side to being an agent. For instance I can now go to office wearing a trenchcoat and trilby hat. I can spend the day hiding coded messages in the flowerpot near the coffee machine. And I can sneak up behind colleagues I dislike and garrote them with an Ethernet cable.

Mind you, there are dangers too. The Enemies of Change and Progress are everywhere. Saboteurs lurk in wait of an opportunity to perpetuate the status quo. But so far they have been unable to catch me off guard. Today I spent the day sitting in front of a giant window. It was dark and rainy outside, so the window acted like a mirror. When people tried to catch me unawares by approaching me from behind I could see their reflection long before they came close enough to initiate hand-to-hand combat. Noone could catch me off guard, and in the end the forces of freedom prevailed over the axis of evil.

Tomorrow in office I will start feeding bits of disinformation to the people I suspect of involvement in the resistance. I will then watch in meetings to see how this disinformation seeps through the organization. This way I will unearth the hidden networks of spies and renegades. Then I will unmask them and hold them to account for their evil deeds.

I must stop writing now. I have a feeling I am being watched.

5 comments:

unpredictable said...

Oh LOL!!!! I love the "political correctness be damned" tone of your work related writing :)

Beta said...

Next time, try suggesting the use of Mariam-webster dictionary for proper nomenclature viz. building blocks or marketing plan.

You should follow it up with increasingly absurd suggestions like - how about calling it a chainsaw or a microwave.

You would be surprised with the overwhelming acceptance to your such suggestions as well as the further reputation it will bring to your already entrenched change agent position.

shiv said...

haha - osssum article... I wonder if other ppl in some of these meetings are also on the verge of kicking someone under the table .. just to stir things up a bit and get real..

oh well.. maybe one day when im an AD..

Unknown said...

please please teach me how to surf without being noticed in a meeting.

brilliant post.. totally loved it. 'forces of freedom prevailed over axis of evil' hehe

Mahogany said...

Shiv - brilliant idea. It's the inevitable next step.

Lucky - it helps if you've splurged on a funky cellphone :-)