Tuesday 8 January 2008

Leaves Stirring In The Darkness

There's a tree outside my window. It's silhouetted against the lights from the apartment block across the courtyard. Its leaves tremble faintly in the rain, which is finally flagging after pouring down for the better part of the evening. It's quiet, both inside my apartment and outside. The gentle tapping of raindrops against the window pane only serves to amplify the silence. I feel peaceful and cocooned.

The feeling won't last.

In a matter of hours the darkness will be bleached out by the morning sun. Voices will rise up again in the streets. Neighbours and strangers will walk past each other, oblivious to anything outside their own thoughts. I'll look outside the same window, at the same tree, and I won't even see it in the bright light of day.

My eyes will be too wide open to see, my mind too alert to notice what surrounds me. When I pass by the neighbourhood playground maybe the bench by the jungle gym will be empty. Or maybe someone will be seated on it in solitary stillness. I won't know, just as I did not know this morning or on any morning last week, last month, last year.

Another day will pass in three long strides of morning, noon and evening. I won't be older and I certainly won't be wiser.

Then sunset falls. The darkness draws a soft curtain over dusk and wakes me up from wakefulness. The seconds slow into minutes again and minutes magically dilate into hours. I can hear and I can see once more.

The rain is quickening again, and the branches outside my window sway in response. There's a barely audible roll of thunder somewhere in the far distance. It reminds me that I am in a cocoon, awake but peaceful, and I'll enjoy the feeling all the more because I know it won't last.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

...goosebumpy, stirring stuff!

unpredictable said...

Uncanny, but I was to use the same words ..goosebumps ... which is ironic considering we're all getting comfortably numb ..

rayshma said...

such posts are why i love this space! :)

Horsie said...

wow!!

lucky said...

Amen!

Quirky Quill said...

This looking at the trees stuff didnt work for me. I tried.
But thanks to the 9 hrs of LOTR, all I could see in the fuzzy light was faces of orcs.
Not nice.

Mahogany said...

No way! LOTR is the best. Not content with movies I've now started watching the design team commentary on the movies. It rocks.

Quirky Quill said...

LOTR- good.
Faces of orcs- Not nice. Nowhere remotely close to nice. Esp when you see them even with your eyes closed.ugh.

Anonymous said...

hmmm - very differnt mood? ur first post where i didnt have a chuckle at the tongue-in-cheek humour..

lemme re-read it - there must be a joke in there?

Yashodhara said...

nice read, M...