Monday 13 October 2008

And That's Really Important Because...?

I don't understand how people can get upset at work, about work. Over the past weeks I've been in numerous business discussions where a remark expressing an opinion would incite a retort that would flare up into an intense argument between colleagues. And all that intensity would be about stuff that sells in supermarkets.

I understand that people's jobs are important to them. I do think that people who can immerse themselves into their work are lucky. Heck, I'll even confess that I often have fun with what I do for a living. (Yes, that statement is deliberately open to interpretation.) But let's be honest here, what we call work is stuff that is so unpleasant that we wouldn't even do it if we weren't paid.

And yet I've found myself sometimes in the same passionate conference-room arguments that, when I look back on them, they bewilder me. My current theory is that we each have a spring of emotional energy inside us. And if it does not find a meaningful outlet like art or helping people, well then it will find a meaningless outlet; such as choosing the most effective design theme for a Powerpoint presentation.

Our office towers are ivory towers and we glide through their corridors like so many fairy-tale princes and princesses: graceful, privileged and clueless. We have the luxury of getting upset about things that don't matter because we have no need to be upset about the things that do, like survival. A few days ago I left office late because an unplanned meeting lasted about an hour longer than it deserved to (the meeting was an hour long). On my way home I stopped at a toll-booth to hand over my dollar and change to a tired-looking man. I'd have been embarrassed for him to know that while he'd been sitting there inhaling exhaust fumes, I had spent my day listening to grown men debate what project name would best inspire the grunts working on it.

There are some things that are obviously worth getting worked up about. War, for instance, or famine, or love. Occasionally even football deserves a shout. But the forecast for next month's department store sales? No thanks, I think I'll save my hormones for a rainy day.

7 comments:

Quirky Quill said...

Brilliantly written.
At times, don't you feel like you are living in the Dilbert strip?
Btw, what would you do if you wanted to earn money by doing something that was important enough to be fun?

Beta said...

Mate - We spend majority of our lives working. You can look at it as something that you wouldnt do if you were not getting paid. On the other hand, you can take the view that if you are going to spend so much time on work, you might as well enjoy it.

One can enjoy cynically or passionately. Both are emotions, although latter is stronger and arguably more constructive (Not always, though). Anyhow, to really enjoy your work, you may have to let go of your inhibitions/emotions. And so at times, you may get upset over seemingly smaller things. I would look at that as a cost of having a fulfilling job.

If you choose to enjoy your job in a cynical manner, that is your prerogative. But, the least you can do is to have patience/respect with/for folks who have made the other choice, knowing fully well that one choice is not necesserily better than the other.

Mahogany said...

Actually, Beta, I think that the choice to enjoy work passionately is better than the choice to enjoy it cynically. What I am critical of is when the passion stops being contructive. I do think there is such a thing as misplaced passion.

It's the difference between participating in an argument with respect for the other person, or with anger at them because they disagree with you.

It's the difference between being passionate and expecting others to respond to your commitment (which I think is good), or believing that another person should have have exactly the same passion as you do for everything that you do (which I think is unfair and does not allow others to have their own sense of priorities).

I'm not making an argument for apathy, but I am advocating for a sense of proportion.

Mahogany said...

QQ - Beta made me think so hard I forgot to answer your question :-) About once a week I am tempted to write to Scot Adams. I choose to believe that is a good thing ;-)
Honestly, I think that the moment you get paid regularly for doing something it takes on some element of obligation, and that makes it less fun than it used to be. I mean, I like finding new restaurants and talking about them to others. But if I was paid to do so on the condition that I was expected to discover and talk about one new restaurant per day, I think that would dilute - not destroy, but dilute - the fun.

Beta said...

Well articulated. I agree that tolerance for others' style of working and/or priorities is a scarce commodity in today's workplaces.

Although, I am still unsure about what choice is a better choice, cynicism or passion. With cynicism, you can really have fun regardless of what is going around you without not being constructive (I think). Passion comes with its ups and downs.

Regardless, tolerance for others' working style is the key and it starts with oneself.

lucky said...

Awesome stuff..
I totally agree.. many a times I tell myself.. 'After all I sell supermarket stuff' Ordinary people spend at max couple of seconds a day thinking about it.. no point getting worked up unnecessarily.

You mention war, love, poverty? Do you ever think of doing something like that full time?

Have you watched this ?? DO see both part 1 and 2..
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=pucdJHjZaqs

rayshma said...

haha... what timing! i was wondering about this just yday... while i sat at a client's office and they went off on a tangent about what number they wanted as a code. not surprisingly, the discussion became quite heated while ppl passionately defended their choice of a 5-digit number! :D
i agree with you. everyone needs some vent or the other! i just hope that the next time they're venting, i'm far away from there! :D