Sunday 19 November 2006

Five words that define rock music

As promised I went out partying again last night. It looked like we'd hit the high point of the evening when my buddy and I stumbled into live Mandarin rock at Dragonfly. But things got better when we went to the Mariott and the band played Another Brick In The Wall.

Has there ever been a more powerful lyric than "We don't need no education"? All the energy, rebellion and pointless anarchy of rock music are balled up with unmatched economy in those five words.

Sure there are others who could have contended for the crown. There's the Sex Pistols (God save the Queen / she ain't no human being); the Eagles (you can check out any time you like but you can never leave); the Who (why don't you all just fu-fffade away); Garbage (I'm only happy when it rains) and a host of other honourable mentions. But none of them really comes within touching distance of Pink Floyd's masterpiece.

And when the guitar chords start their swirling, crashing intrusion, then erupt in a shattering efflorescence of distortion, then take a short breath before the vocals begin their remorseless litany of things we don't need, I just want to go still and let the music wash through me. Or better still, yell along with everyone else in the bar.

Not too long ago I was playing a game with a friend where we were telling each other which were the bands who, if the came to town, we would go to their show no matter what the ticket price was. Pink Floyd were first on my list then, and they still are.

Hey! Teacher! Leave us kids alone!

2 comments:

Yashodhara said...

i know exactly what you mean. But my favorite is
'It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife - it's meeting the man of my dreams..and then meeting his beautiful wife'
How truly, deliciously Ironic.

r said...

you gotta add the doors