Wednesday 20 June 2007

So Much To See. So Little Time.

I saw the coolest thing on A Bend in the Lane. It was a map that shows you all the countries that you've been to. As someone who loves vacation travel (as opposed to the business kind), I got really excited. I wanted to make my own map, and gloat over all the wonderful places I'd been to.

Boy, was I disappointed.



create your own visited countries map

In case you're wondering, the white swathe that covers most of the map is all the places that I have not yet been to. I just look at that gigantuan expanse of unexplored lands and I think to myself "Can I possibly hope to see more than a fraction of all there is to see in the world?"

Thankfully I am pathologically incapable of staying depressed for long, so I've decided to cheer myself up by recalling some of the brilliant travel experiences that I have had. Let's see...

There was the bar in Kobe where I got to play with a sewing machine and feed live penguins.

There was the wonderful old man in a train in Japan who saw me reading a book. He complimented me on my English skills. Speaking in flawless English himself, he apologized for his own poor command of the language and announced that he had decided to give up his attempt to master English. After sixty years of trying.

There were the Scotsmen who brightened up and became my new best friends just because I said Scotland was so much nicer than England.

There was Stonehenge, so much smaller than I had expected, so much more enigmatic than I had imagined.

There was Angkor Vat, and Ta Phrom, and the Bayon, and all the other wonderful, mysterious, beautiful, peaceful and utterly unforgettable temples in Cambodia.

There was the stranger I met in Hong Kong who treated me to the most amazing recitation of Shakespeare and Tolkien.

There was Trinidad, home of Calypso, steel bands, and one heck of a Carnival.

There was...

Hmm. I feel much better already. There's still many miles to go, many lands to see, many things to do, many moments to sieze. But right now I can snuggle back in my sofa, enjoy the feel of home, and know that I've not done too badly so far.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

if red swathes make you feel better, all you need to do is to add russia, canada and brazil...

Mahogany said...

Dude, Canada is already in there. And I'd love to add Russia and Brazil but the deal is I have to go there first...

Anonymous said...

there's this wayside village that you could visit... in the middle of nowhere... dust clouds gather as your car rolls into town, and you almost believe that you have entered the sets of a spaghetti western. and then u realize. it's just gur-gawaan. and the dust is only because HUDA forgot to make the roads.

alternatively, you could come to delhi, and have a beer with me.

whatsay?

Mahogany said...

Arty, they're both good options. But, um, who are you?

rayshma said...

intriguing. pray explain to me: what exactly is "playing with a sewing machine?" that too, at a bar in kobe?!
me never been there, so am quite ignorant... :(

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.