Sunday 23 March 2008

Going Down In History

I'm trapped.

It all started in December 2006. That was the last time I went to India for a holiday. On the rare occasions that I holiday in India, I like to fill up my time and my suitcase by shopping for books. That is the one thing that is still much cheaper there.

I'm also a bit obsessive about "collecting the full set" of anything. I'm a sucker for boxed sets, the full trilogy in one package, that sort of stuff.

So if you put these two impulses together, and then place me in front of a book called The New Penguin History of The World, I turn into putty. Very silly putty.

A historian named J. M. Roberts set out to write the enire history of the human race, from the time before there even was a human race, all the way up to the present day. Before he passed away in 2003 he took the story as far as America's war on terror, and Nature's newly uncovered war on mankind via global warming. Such staggering ambition deserves to be rewarded. I snapped up the book without a second thought.

The cover blurbs described the book as "A stupendous achievement.." and "A work of outstanding breadth...". But they left out the fact that it is stupendously boring. Here's a sentence picked out completely at random: "Political democracy developed faster than social, on the other hand, even if the universal male suffrage already long-established in the United States would not be introduced until 1918; the democratization of English politics was already past the point of reversibility by 1870."

That was from the 782nd of 1184 pages of unrelentingly turgid prose.

And I cannot stop reading.

You see, I've trapped myself inside this paperbacked prison. I started reading the book three or four times, and each time I gave up within the first fifty pages of multiply-nested subordinate clauses. Eventually I started thinking of the book as a living adversary that was determined to prove I'm too stupid to read it. It was disturblingly like the feelings of clumsiness and inadequacy that dogged me through high school.

"This", I told the fat snob sitting on my bedside table, "is now personal. I will defeat you". No I didn't. I'm not yet deranged enough to talk to books; only enough to feel intimidated by them.

So I made one more attempt and this time forced myself through the polysyllabic sludge with bloody-minded determination. I was an invincible hero forcing my way through dense enemy ranks. I was a fearless explorer trudging through an arid, oppressive desert. I was a moth wading through molasses, and about equally elegant.

But more successful.

I have now bludgeoned my way through six hundred pages, and just about passed the halfway mark. I'm winning my struggle against my inanimate adversary and it's doing me no good. In one of history's more savoury moments, the Greek king Pyrrhus commented on his own losses after winning a battle: "Another such victory over the Romans and we are undone". I can empathize.

Finishing the book will probably destroy my surviving brain cells, and leave me a gibbering idiot who is unaccountably knowledgeable about seventeenth century European power struggles. Finishing the book will probably take me another year; evry time I open it and start reading, I fall asleep within ten pages. Even so have I made my way to this present pass, reading three pages a night before passing out with my nose pressed into the binding.

It's in front of me now, just lying there inertly. As if I don't know that in a matter or hours it'll be in my hands again, gnawing away at the edges of my consciousness.

I swear to you, the next book I read will be a graphic novel.

11 comments:

Beta said...

I can empathize. I feel exactly the same whenever I read Dostoyevsky, although, admittedly, you have done a good job articulating such feelings. However, when I finished Crime and Punishment over multiple starts and false starts, the feeling of accomplishment was amazing. Currently, trudging through The Idiot.

Anonymous said...

that's what his book is probably chuckling to itself: "currently trudging through, the idiot".

r said...

I had the same experience with pickwick papers, my 12th class english prize...tried for a year but gave up finally midway!

Beta said...

Nice one, Vacillus. Out of sheer respect, I shall not come up with a retort. I doubt if there can be any measuring up to it.

Still Searching said...

Hahahaha! hilarious the way you've described your alleged war against the book! reminds me of the time i tried to bulldoze my way through a similar book on the entire history of mankind... i didnt get past the 20th page, and obviously my bulldozing powers leave much to desire.. :) best of luck finishing this!

rayshma said...

oh geez! i'd picked this book up... and i left it back in india. safe. at home. i read abt 45 pages, i think... over a span of 3 months... and then decided i would read it when i'm old and have nothing else to read.
all d best with this one...!

Mahogany said...

Now that I've admitted to the world - and myself - that I'm not reading this book because I want but because I am compelled to, suddenly the compulsion is weakening... and then I realize that I will not be able to live with myself if I wuss out. So I'll just keep torturing myself like the idiot that I am.

But thanks for the empathy :-/

Quirky Quill said...

Read Dilbert I say!

Bee said...

Hey there...the same thing happnd to me with Amartya Sen...now ...i knw he's The God...and I really do find some of his articles really interesting ...but i tried reading The Argumentative Indian..which everybody seems to love...but I shamefacedly admit-I just couldn't get interested in it...it just sucked out so much energy out of me!...the next book I read was City of Djinns..yup..u can get out of delhi but u cannot get delhi out of ur system!

unpredictable said...

Lol! Kudos to your tenacity and unwillingness to give up.

Ayn Rand and I at 14 were a similar story until the middle of the book, post that I officially gave up.

To this day I recoil at the thought of reading the Fountainhead again!

Silver lining is, if you faint/fall from this and the cumulative boredom of this week, we'll know exactly what to tell the medics!

Mahogany said...

Sigh, I am obviously the one person here who does not learn.
Unpred - Like you I started reading the Fountainhead; unlike you I made myself finish it even though I hated it even more than I dislike The History Of The World.
Bee - I have the Argumentative Indian. And I just know that I will read it to the bitter end.